Tacoma Online provides a personalized learning experience for students in kindergarten through grade 12. Students engage in academic learning led by teachers through a platform called Edgenuity at middle and high school and through Schoology at elementary school. While students generally participate in learning activities independently, they are provided multiple forms of support.
Tacoma Online students have the flexibility to learn from anywhere with the support and resources of Tacoma Public Schools at their fingertips. During enrollment, students are assigned to a cohort with opportunities for experiences that expand each student’s social, emotional and academic development. Students can participate in co-curricular activities and athletics at their neighborhood school in addition to opportunities offered by Tacoma Online.
For many students with special needs and Individualized Education Plans, Tacoma Online is a perfect fit. Tacoma Online’s staff includes certified special education teachers who partner with general education teachers to customize learning to meet each student where they are.
Tacoma Online enrolls students at the beginning of the school year, and again at grading breaks. For middle and high school, we enroll students also at the semester break mid-year. For elementary school, we enroll students at each trimester break.
Please visit our Enrollment page. Thank you for choosing Tacoma Online!
- What is Tacoma Online?
- Where are Tacoma Online offices and where can I park?
- What do lessons look like?
- Who teaches classes?
- What technology skills are necessary for students at Tacoma Online?
- Are Tacoma Online students part of a class with opportunity to engage with each other?
- What is Personalized Learning and how does it work in a virtual school environment?
- Will there be required attendance in Tacoma Online?
- Can my child still attend if they’ve been diagnosed with a learning disability and require an individualized education plan?
- Will Tacoma Online students have access to TPS counselors, specialists and other staff?
- Can I switch my children back to their home school if Tacoma Online is not a good fit?
- Can Tacoma Online students attend dances at other schools?
- What level of family support is needed for my child in Tacoma Online?
- How will Tacoma Online students be graded? Will they receive grades on assignments and regular report cards?
- Will Tacoma Online students take the same standardized tests as other Washington students?
- Will Tacoma Online follow the TPS calendar?
- Can my child attend even if we live outside of Tacoma?
- May my child continue to attend traditional school? What is Tacoma Flex?
Anyone, Anytime, Anywhere learning
- Flexibility and individualization of learning to meet each family and student’s unique needs
- Live learning and class engagement opportunities daily
- Every student in TOL K-5 will have a homeroom where they get to know the teacher and their classmates through class meetings and social emotional curriculum
- Class size will follow the district class size guidelines
- Differentiated instruction offered in small group and one on one setting for targeted academic support
- Students will have opportunities for support from TOL counselors, support specialists, and program specialist.
Tacoma Public Schools curriculum and instructional frameworks utilized in K-5 instruction
- Certificated teachers trained in virtual instruction to deliver specialized, content specific instruction in grades K-5
- Access to PE, Library and Music classes and lessons from Tacoma teachers
- Special education support
- English language Learner support
- School and family partnerships
School community with opportunities for parent/family involvement and connection
There are some elements of in-person learning that can’t be replicated in an online class. We are confident that through our strategic partnerships between the students, teachers, families and *learning coaches, we’ll be able to maximize the potential of every student. *Learning Coach: Being a parent or guardian of a Tacoma Online student requires the commitment of an adult learning coach. 90% of 2020-2021 TOL K-5 families indicated that their student need support from an adult learning coach some or most of the time. This partnership with teacher, student and family working and communicating together regularly allows for optimal student growth.
Clubs, Assemblies, and Celebrations
- TOL students will have the opportunity to participate in clubs, extended learning opportunities, assemblies, and whole school learning celebrations.
- Student leadership opportunities
- Optional in-person opportunities will be offered such as field trips and connection opportunities
Anyone, Anytime, Anywhere learning
Check out this One-Pager for an overview of how Tacoma Online Middle & High School works
Curriculum at Tacoma Online
Tacoma Online is staffed with certified Tacoma teachers who use the Edgenuity curriculum to guide student learning. Edgenuity is one of the largest online curriculum providers in the nation with over 4 million students engaged. Tacoma teachers work with each student and are able to customize courses as they work to meet individual students where they are and help them achieve their goals. Tacoma Online offers AP, foreign language, college prep, Career and Technical Education courses in grades 7-12, and a host of elective courses though course options may differ from what is available in other TPS schools.
Students graduating from the Tacoma Online School will receive the same diploma, the Certificate of Academic Achievement, offered by all Tacoma Public High Schools.
You can read a detailed description of each Edgenuity course (including some we don't yet offer at TOL) by clicking here!
The PACE program at Tacoma Online are at the heart of our design. PACE Coaches are the main point of contact for families and provide current information about what is happening at TOL. Your coach’s focus is to look out for their students’ social and emotional wellbeing, as well as to provide them with tools to support their academic achievement. Coaches may also act as a liaison to your student’s other teachers as well. It is very important, though not required, that students attend their PACE Group sessions when they occur on Monday and Friday mornings.
Students at Tacoma Online are able to participate in after-school activities like sports at their original home school building. Tacoma Online offers ASB and clubs and has plans for other after-school activities as we grow.
- What does a typical school say look like?
- What do courses in the Edgenuity system look like?
- What skills/strategies will help my child be a successful online learner?
- What is the parent’s role in online secondary education?
- How many students are typically assigned to each full-time instructor?
- Can Running Start students register for Tacoma Online?