Frequently Asked Questions
Thousands of students in grades K-12 today are using online education as a way of getting ahead, staying ahead, and graduating on time.
And as such, more and more parents are beginning to see the value in online learning and have begun enrolling their children in online education programs. But this wonderful new online opportunity comes in all shapes and sizes—so it’s important to be as educated as possible before making the leap to online learning.
As the first online virtual public elementary, middle, and high school in Tacoma, Tacoma Online (TOL) knows a thing or two about what it means to deliver a quality online education. At TOL, we are rooted in a fundamental dedication to personalized and student-centered learning.
At Tacoma Online, learning happens anytime, anywhere.
The common definition of anytime, anywhere learning is based on the notion that students can learn in school or at home at any time of the day using a digital or online tool. But this sounds like every other online learning program out there, doesn’t it? With Tacoma Online, there is a difference.
- What is Tacoma Online?
- Where are Tacoma Online offices and where can I park?
- What do lessons look like?
- Who teaches classes?
- What technology skills are necessary for students at Tacoma Online?
- Are Tacoma Online students part of a class with opportunity to engage with each other?
- What is Personalized Learning and how does it work in a virtual school environment?
- Will there be required attendance in Tacoma Online?
- Can my child still attend if they’ve been diagnosed with a learning disability and require an individualized education plan?
- Will Tacoma Online students have access to TPS counselors, specialists and other staff?
- Can I switch my children back to their home school if Tacoma Online is not a good fit?
- Can Tacoma Online students attend dances at other schools?
- What level of family support is needed for my child in Tacoma Online?
- How will Tacoma Online students be graded? Will they receive grades on assignments and regular report cards?
- Will Tacoma Online students take the same standardized tests as other Washington students?
- Will Tacoma Online follow the TPS calendar?
- Can my child attend even if we live outside of Tacoma?
- May my child continue to attend traditional school? What is Tacoma Flex?
- What does a typical school say look like?
- What do courses in the Edgenuity system look like?
- What skills/strategies will help my child be a successful online learner?
- What is the parent’s role in online secondary education?
- How many students are typically assigned to each full-time instructor?
- Can Running Start students register for Tacoma Online?
- Edgenuity help for current TOL students
- Questions, Complaints, and Suggestions
- Student Services Support Team
- Special Programs
- Our Supports
- TOL Communication
- Use of Schoology at K-5
- Use of TEAMS K-12
- K-5 Curricular Resources
- Expectations and Norms at TOL
- Sexual Health Education - FLASH Curriculum
- District and State Testing
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Academic Integrity Policy
- Tacoma School District
- TPS Technology Department
- ALE Rules and Laws
- Statement of Understanding: Home-Based Instruction vs. ALE